The week before the pineapple tarts gathering, I have been thinking of how settle my friends' lunch at home. I wasn't a fantastic cook and my inconsistent culinary skills so far has been "tested" on CK and occasionally on my mum. However, I have decided to be brave about it to further "test" it on my friends. Bawahwah ...
Fried items are normally easy, of course. It was just a matter to frying them to near perfection. Well, I admitted that I was a little lazy and did not change the frying oil after I have fried the vegetarian dumplings. The sotong balls, fishcakes and chicken nuggets have some burnt stains on them ! I was also quite anxious about the fried rice as I seldom cook this. The overall fried rice looked appealing but was unfortunately too dry. The noodles was pretty tasteful ... hee hee. Ok, at least one item got positive comments to boost my morale.
After we have regained our energy, it was time for some serious pineapple tarts making ! Oh, the "we" referred to the four ladies, of course ! This year, we were happy that Tiang can join us ! She did not managed to join us last year. We hope that next year, more people can join us too.
Everything went pretty smoothly except that we got unsalted butter instead of salted ones. Somehow, after the pineapple tarts session last year, we more or less knew what should be done. Our Master Fang made the dough while the rest of us rolled the pineapple paste into little balls. The pineapple balls have increased in sizes compared to last year as we wanted to taste the pineapple more. We gossiped as we worked and time passed by quickly. It was entertaining.
Our oven worked differently. Instead of the usual 15-20 minutes of baking time, ours might take another 5-10 minutes more to attain the desired results. We worked fast in getting the pineapple paste inside the dough but the time was wasted on baking them. Nonetheless, we managed to bake all tarts to a satisfactory golden brown.
We were proud and happy with our achievements. They might not be the nicest tarts in the world but the effort and fun of making them far exceeded this. To me, the tarts tasted nice and I couldn't help myself eating a couple more to satisfy my cravings ! Hope the 2 boys and Min Min have fun too! When I told the 2 boys that we will be having 2 gatherings during CNY, JL sounded so happy!
BTW, I have brought them to office and my colleagues gave good comments too !
I am looking forward to CNY whereby we can get together for more good times !
Squeezing the pineapple paste into a bowl !
Tiang showing off a nicely rolled pineapple paste while Master Fang showed off "SIS" sugar ?
Glazing a tart on palm !
All ready to be baked !
Our finished products ! Sure must take photos ! Thumbs up by Master Fang !
Our new kid on the block, Tiang, looking very satisfied.
The man and dog never contributed anything to the pineapple tarts lah, but nonetheless we cannot missed the out! Oh, CK helped with the food-tasting! Easy job!
BC and Min Min ... their gestures seems to imply "gong xi, gong xi" ...
Ar ... our 2 actors as usual. Playing WII and PSP whole day. You were forgiven since you have demonstrated great faith in our bakery !
It is a must now to take group photo for every occasion!
3 comments:
Wow, it's always good to have great company to do some interesting hobbies together. Baking is an example. Unlike you, I am down here doing all the CNY cookies sole :( Hope that when I am back in SG, we can do baking or cooking together too! Hmmm...looking forward.....:)
Yes, I think it's great baking together! Cant wait for the chew family to be back in Singapore. We must get together and bake too :) U must share with us your recipe esp those u posted on the web :)
Post a Comment